Friday 11 July 2014

A Vintage Journey Dies and Distress Challenge


The latest Challenge to use any Dies and Distress Products


I love all things distress and the more distressed the better!
So when I saw this beautifully inspiring picture below of a dilapidated building
I wanted to recreate it, the colours are amazing such vibrant pinks and oranges contrasting against the turquoise tones and textures of the corrugated metal






The main background was created by randomly tearing corrugated cardboard and applied torn sections of Tim Holtz Texture Fades Bricked
Covered with Gesso, once dry I used Tim Holtz Distress Stains Peacock Feathers, Pumice Stone, Black Soot, Ripe Persimmon, walnut Stain and applied 3 times to get more intense colours


Playing around with the die cut layouts, more details on the dies to follow

I die cut the Tim Holtz window box die and strips of card, Painted these DecoArt Zinc allowed to dry then applied a thin layer of Decoart Weathered Wood to created small cracks once dry I applied a mix of DecoArt Titanium White, Desert Sand And Carbon Black and the magic crackle appears
these were then distressed further with Distress Inks Walnut Stain and Black Soot


For the wood window boards I stamped the wood effect from Tim Holtz Wallpaper and Wood set, then used distress stains Ripe Persimmon, Walnut Stain and Black Soot distress inks, the edges where torn and  distressed with a sander 
The glass effect was created by applying DecoArt Texture glass and clear embossing powder to a piece of acetate and and then cut in a shatter effect


The canvas background was done by applying Texture Fades Bricked and torn randomly and glued and painted with Carbon Black, followed by a layer of Burnt Umber 
Dry brushed with Desert Sand, and the Titanium white, then applied a Quinacridone gold wash heavier in the outer areas


The leaves and butterflies were cut from Tim Holtz Spring Greenery and Butterfly Frenzy, and coloured with Distress stains Ripe Persimmon, Pickled Raspberry, Wild Honey and a little Walnut Stain then distress with Walnut Stain distress inks



I hope you have enjoyed my project,
Please pop back to A Vintage Journey and check out the other Design Team Projects and we look forward to seeing your Challenge Projects

Jools x

17 comments:

  1. Jools, your colors on this project are outrageously wonderful and bright. So nice and you used the theme for this fortnight seriously. Just Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! Jools, this project is amazing! That shattered window is a great idea and I love how you layered and textured the corrugated cardboard. More greatness with the lovely colored flowers! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jools.....this is a fantastic project and so inspiring. I love all the wonderful details you have created and the colour tones are stunning

    TFS an crafty hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly stunning Jools, what an amazing recreation of the photo. I love all the dies and distress, the beautiful colours and the so realistic window. Your imagination and creativity came together magnificently to create this one xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous creation, love the colours you have sued and such wonderful details x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just picking my jaw up off the floor Jools..... this is absolutely stunning! I love the photo of the dilapidated building but I actually love your creation even more.....the colours are fantastic and your wood effect window is superb. The only word I can think of to describe this creation is glorious! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is officially incredible Jools! To say you've done that inspiring image justice is an understatement - I am truly blown away by this! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jools, I love your imaginative make! From the texturing and features to the imagery and colours, what a wonderful and creative make! Fab!!!! Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly an artist, Jools! This work is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Utterly wonderful... I love the inspiration photo and your recreation of it is, if anything, even better! Amazing distressing, stunning colours on all those delicate die-cuts, brilliant smashed glass, fab weathered wood window frame, and the old brick work in the background... every last square millimetre is perfect. Do you get that I really really love this one?!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jools, this is gorgeous. I love the colours and the cracked window is genius!!!! Lovely!! Jean.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! Texture, color, imagionation and your creative mind! I have wall space available, lol. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in awe Jools - your technical ability and eye for detail is wonderful. How fantastic to take your inspiration from the building but even more amazing you translated it into this canvass. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! This is amazing, Jools!! WOW!! That's all I can say!! WOW!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful piece Jools! I love the brick wall and the shattered glass. Wonderful colors with the red and blue. Love it! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness! you nailed your inspiration picture - the pic and your project look interchangeable! what a great creative process - love the cracked window especially and the riotous red over growth!

    ReplyDelete