Tuesday 3 December 2013

Winter Silhouette Canvas


I started by applying two coats of gesso to a 12" x12" canvas, then tore a piece of corrugated cardboard to approximately 10" x 10" and distressed randomly around the edges
This was applied with DecoArt Glue & seal and left to dry


Next I selected Crafters Workshop Mini Harlequin & Imagination Crafts Bay leaf stencils and applied DecoArt modelling paste to the exposed canvas. On hindsight, it might have been better doing this first but it did allow for accurate placement

 
Covered the cardboard with approximately 1mm – 2mm depth of Gesso.

I then stamped into it using Stampotique Daniels Hearts, which left a nice pattern and texture


 
Once dry, I applied torn stripes of a dictionary with glue and seal and allowed to dry


Paint time!

I wanted to create a subtle toned graduated effect like a watery winters sky, so starting at the top I applied DecoArt Titanium White, Orange Twist, Lemonade & Sea Aqua. 

I like to apply quite unusual brights first which show through from the texture and create a hazy glow, it is always easier to tone down lighter and brighter colours

The lighter areas around the centre were a combination of DecoArt Metallic Silver Sage and Shimmering Silver
 


I applied the paint in large horizontal brush strokes blending each colour into the next.

Finally, working towards the bottom with Williamsburgh Blue then adding Prussian blue, Burnt Umber taking it gradually darker to the bottom edge of the canvas.


At this stage the colours were too bright so I toned the whole canvas down with white and the Metallics adding Williamsburg blue and burnt umber to gradually darken and tone down the overall colours
 



Once dry, I used the Crafters Workshop branches stencil, applying the paint from the top down with the lightest colour Williamsburg Blue, adding Blueberry & Prussian Blue to gradually darken as I worked down



This was followed by a combination of Windsor & Newton water mixable oil paints Payne’s Grey and Raw Umber, as a wash over the background and around the edge of the cardboard centre to tone down and give a really distressed vintage effect



Finally I added a touch of DecoArt Metallic Lustre Silver Spark to highlight the texture around the edge and just a little on the edges of the cardboard to keep it subtle



 
I finished with a label with the meaning of Silhouette distressed with Tim Holtz Distress Inks, as I am entering this into The Craftbarn Alpha Challenge

 
I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial, any questions please just ask
Jools :)
 

17 comments:

  1. Stunning canvas Jools and all that lovely texture also love your choice of colours
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Jools (a word I seem to be using a lot when visiting your blog...:o))
    The step by step is fabulous, thanks so much for describing it so clearly! Have to say I love that tree stencil! Great canvas altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliantly done Jools, fabulous texture and colour, love the granulated palette for the trees, they are so effective.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful canvas, Jools!

    Love the colours you have achieved and the feeling of a late autumnal or winter sky shortly after sunset! Beautiful!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant canvas - love the moody feel of the sky. Thanks for showing us how you made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous canvas and very well explained, thank you !!
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utterly stunning canvas, Jools... and wonderful to see those painty layers building up over the textured background. Absolutely gorgeous, and you make it seem really achievable.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing work, Jools! background is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas and thanks for all the detail on how to

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the step by step, a wonderful canvas.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've employed great techniques for a splendid result...

    ReplyDelete
  12. An amazing canvas, love the colors and the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jools! I have visited your blog for the first time today, having seen your artwork on Lisa's That Craft Place site. I'm still on your first page but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this tutorial, and how easy I found it to understand your techniques. Thanks for that because I've previously found this style of work a bit scary, but seeing how you have done yours, stage by stage, you have given me the confidence to just have a go. I'm also going to enjoy looking back to see what else you have on your blog. Thanks for sharing your creativity, and thanks for inspiring me to be a little more creative myself. Best wishes for a very happy, healthy and inspired new year, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy

      Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I'm very pleased to hear that you were inspired and that you liked the step by step, I haven't been doing these very long and it can be sometimes difficult to know what to include, so thank you for the positive feedback.

      Happy New Year & Happy Creating

      Kind Regards

      Jools x

      Delete
  14. Wow. Fabulous piece of art and great instructions!

    ReplyDelete